What's a Lab?
The Auckland Co-design Lab is part of an emerging global movement. Central and local governments around the world are investing in labs and using them as a public policy tool to explore new ideas and responses to complex social issues.
These labs take a variety of forms, using different methods and focusing on a range of issues such as health, skills and employment, early years, etc. Despite their differences these labs share a number of common principles.
- Take an alternative view of policy development – bottom up and top down, rather than purely top down
- Place an emphasis on people not organisations – focus on people’s experiences and insights to generate new perspectives and new solutions
- Learning by doing – prefer fast experimentation and prototyping rather than slow policy development and implementation
- Focus on deep causes and system change – ally theory with action
- Blending quantitative and qualitative approaches